[OSGeo-Conf] 2008 FOSS4G results

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 31 09:46:23 EDT 2007

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Last year we waited for our OSGeo announcement until the
 > winning 2007 committee was ready to announce, so I think
 > we should do the same this year.  Do you agree?????

Jeff,

I don't mind waiting till an announcement can be crafted in cooperation
with the local folks.  I also feel this year that it would be wise to have
some discussions in advance of announcement with the local folks.  Discussions
to clarify how governance of the conference will work, protocol for monetary
decisions and so forth.  This is to ensure that the local folks are ammendable.

Last year we settled on:
   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G_2007_Governance

Some conferences have extremely independent local organizations while
others are largely operated by the central organization.  I think we
need to ensure the local organization understands this is an OSGeo
conference and that there will be broad input on how it operates
before we proceed.

For 2007 we had four outside folks on the committee (Claude, Luc, Jeff
and myself) and I think we need something similar this year to help
maintain continuity.  I think this is especially important because
the Capetown folks haven't been as connected to our community and
conferences as for instance Paul and Tyler were.  I'd like to suggest
Jeff, Tyler and a board member plus at least one more person would be
good.

Forgive me for taking this discussion to the public list.

Best regards,