[OSGeo-Conf] [FOSS4G2007] Academic Conference Requirements

Daniel Ames dpames at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:11:22 EDT 2007

OSGeo Journal already has an ISBN (right?) and publishing proceedings in our
own journal probably makes sense. Perhaps conference attendees are just
encouraged to submit their papers through the OSGeo Journal's existing
processes, rather than try to coordinate a special issue, etc... i.e. try to
keep it simple and use existing mechanisms as much as possible... - Dan

On 6/2/07, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:

> There was also a desire on the part of questioners that the published
> proceeding have an ISBN. How far down this path do we go?  (I say all
> this, BTW, in the fullest expectation that I am *not* going to
> organize this, that some volunteer will step up and say "*I* will
> ensure all the academic participants go home happy.")

> On 2-Jun-07, at 1:21 AM, venka.osgeo wrote:
>
> > Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I had suggested publication of special issue of FOSS2006
> > but nothing has happened as yet.

> >> I would appreciate it - this is something which remains.
> >> See for example FOSS4G2004:
> >
> > I would appreciate it too at least for selected papers
> >> http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/papers.php
> >> Venka et al used the PKP Open Archives Harvester.
> >
> > Apart from the online proceedings of full papers,
> > selected papers of 2004 conference were peer-reviewed also
> > published in a regular scientific journal
> > (International Journal of Geoinformatics).
> >
> > The peer-reviewed papers are available online at
> > http://www.j-geoinfo.net/Content/March2005/content1(1).htm
> >
> > Perhaps selected papers could be published in the new OSGeo
> > Journal.
> >
> > Venka

Daniel P. Ames, PhD, PE
Dept of Geosciences