[OSGeo-Conf] [FOSS4G2007] Academic Conference Requirements

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat Jun 2 12:37:21 EDT 2007

> On 6/2/07, Paul Ramsey < pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
> ...  that some volunteer will step up and say "*I* will
> ensure all the academic participants go home happy.")

Okay Paul, I'll bite -  but I'll still leave room for others to raise
their hands. :)

On 2-Jun-07, at 8:11 AM, Daniel Ames wrote:
> OSGeo Journal already has an ISBN (right?) and publishing
> proceedings in our own journal probably makes sense. Perhaps
> conference attendees are just encouraged to submit their papers
> through the OSGeo Journal's existing processes,

I agree with the idea of having the Journal as a venue for publishing
the proceedings.  We can put select papers through the peer review
process.  We can consider how to also handle all the others that
might be ready to publish.  I look at this as a very convenient way
to suddenly have lots of Journal content for our 3rd issue and also
help the conference.

I assume we'd only need to take some of the presentations whose
authors put together a more formal paper - not just reprint
presentation files.  Will that meet the needs?  How much information
do people need ahead of time?

Yes, OSGeo Journal has an official ISSN (it's like the ISBN but is
for periodicals/serials, not books).

Tyler