[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] foss4g.org

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 22 18:19:55 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 22-Nov-07, at 11:48 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> So, what's the next step on moving this domain into a position where
>> we can put it to conference use? (Thanks again for the use of it!)
>
> The Systems Committee would have to get the DNS going and then we'd need
> a site to point it to.  Perhaps for now we can have it point to:
> http://www.osgeo.org/conference - and add pointers to the past year
> events from that page.
>
> In my opinion, it would be ideal to have a standard conference system
> running on that domain.  I set up the Open Conference System at:
> http://osgeo.org/ocs - but am not sure if anyone other than me has
> looked at it.  I believe it would be best if we could use/re-use a
> system like that instead of having each event invent their own.  It is
> ideal for allowing managers to manager single event instances.  We could
> also use it to host/manage other events outside of the annual FOSS4G
> International event.

Tyler / Paul,

It is my opinion that for now we should just point the foss4g domain
at the foss4g2008 site, but with a plan of making it more multi-year
for FOSS4G 2009 when we would aim to more directly administer and
manage the site.

I'm also in favor of recurring use of conference management software;
however, when a conference organizer is retained for the conference
they often have their own software and web systems for registration and
so forth.  I'm concerned about conflict over that, and a disconnect between
a system administered by us, and a system administered by the conference
organizers (ie. PeopleSA/SeaToSky/etc).

I *would* like to see the DNS entry for foss4g formally transferred to
OSGeo so it is administerable through the same interface we manage the
rest of our domains.  In time I'm also interested in doing this for
gdal.org.  However, I don't know how to do DNS transfers and the last
one I was involved with (libtiff.org) fell into the hands of pirates
due to some sort of failure in hand off.  It was quite a disaster.
So hopefully someone quite savvy with DNS stuff could take responsibility
for the transfer.

Best regards,