[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] foss4g.org

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 22 15:17:13 EST 2007

On 22-Nov-07, at 3:19 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> It is my opinion that for now we should just point the foss4g domain
> at the foss4g2008 site, but with a plan of making it more multi-year
> for FOSS4G 2009 when we would aim to more directly administer and
> manage the site.

I think it's a good compromise in the short term too.

> I'm also in favor of recurring use of conference management software;
> however, when a conference organizer is retained for the conference
> they often have their own software and web systems for registration
> and
> so forth.  I'm concerned about conflict over that, and a disconnect
> between
> a system administered by us, and a system administered by the
> conference
> organizers (ie. PeopleSA/SeaToSky/etc).

Usually the conference planners I've seen offer the website hosting
as an optional component.  But at any rate, when we have a site/
system ready to use, we can make it clear in our RFP that the local
committee and companies will have to use it for certain parts.  For
some tech-savvy conference consultants they may be able to help us
improve the system for next year (maybe I'm dreaming) instead of
investing in their own - after all they could also use our improved
version for their own clients.  We would just need to build the
confidence that our system could handle the main requirements.

Tyler