[OSGeo-Conf] Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Oct 3 15:30:18 EDT 2007

On 3-Oct-07, at 11:57 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> If anybody remembers who registered http://www.foss4g2008.org/ please
> speak up, I think that would be a good placeholder that could just
> point
> to whatever it becomes in the end.

OSGeo has that name registered and it is pointing to a server that
will host foss4g2008 website.

> There are several possible addresses for FOSS4G that I think have
> already
> been registered. My favorite would be
> http://www.foss4g.org

Venka clarified what the requirements were for obtaining foss4g.org,
which I passed on to this list for discussion a while back.  In
general, I believe that having foss4g.org under our banner is a good
idea regardless of the final name.  However, the particulars of
meeting the requirements he outlined are, I believe, something the
committee needs to discuss.

Then perhaps the naming debate could continue after that :)

Personally, I think we need to start looking at conference web site
as part of the main OSGeo site, regardless of the domain names used
for the particular.  What we have now is a scattered history of
events located on different servers, one per year, managed by several
different groups.  Meaning our proceedings, historic info,
applications, etc. are all re-designed every year and potentially
(eventually?) lost.  I'll bring up the issues in a separate email.

Tyler