[OSGeo-Conf] Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 3 15:54:52 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Venka clarified what the requirements were for obtaining foss4g.org,
> which I passed on to this list for discussion a while back.  In general,
> I believe that having foss4g.org under our banner is a good idea
> regardless of the final name.  However, the particulars of meeting the
> requirements he outlined are, I believe, something the committee needs
> to discuss.

Here are Venka's requirements:

 >> With regards to transfer of FOSS4G domain to OSGeo,
 >> Prof. Shinji Masumoto and myself will be willing
 >> agree for OSGeo to use and run the domain
 >> provided;
 >>
 >> a) The provinance of the FOSS4G acronym is
 >> properly mentioned and the credit of coining
 >> the acronym is duly acknowledge on future
 >> foss4g.org site that would be managed by OSGeo.
 >>
 >> b) No restriction is made on the free usage of
 >> the FOSS4G acronym for the legitimate purpose of
 >> promoting Free and Open Source Software for
 >> Geoinformatics.
 >>
 >> c) OSGeo offer two complimentary registration
 >> passes future FOSS4G Conferences (including
 >> workshop) to OSGeo-Japan. Usage of the
 >> complimentary pass would be decided by
 >> OSGeo-Japan.
 >>
 >> Modalities to enable OSGeo to run this domain
 >> can be workedout in due course, I think.
 >>
 >> Kind regards
 >>
 >> Venka

I have no problems with a) or b).

Regarding c) I wonder if maybe the passes should be available for 2008
only.  Thoughts?  We do need to thank the original owners for the foss4g
domain for their vision.

> Then perhaps the naming debate could continue after that :)

I'm not so sure of that. I think we handled the naming issue decision
properly.

--
jeff