[OSGeo-Conf] Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:30:45 EDT 2007

Hi Arnulf et al.

Domain:
>From my perspective FOSS4G2008 needs to stay as a brand for next year but
maybe it's a good time to introduce some new alternatives so that people get
familiar with them for future events and so that there are more chances
they'll find us (the more urls they try). That's OSGeo's decision. Yes
www.foss4g2008.org is already registered and pointing to a server in SA that
we were hoping to have ready to announce last week. Frank set that up. So at
least let's keep that domain.

Website:
Regarding the site itself I agree it makes sense to just keep it on OSGeo
infrastructure to simplify matters, reduce costs, save time. And likely be
faster access to the North. So, have you guys reached any decision to go for
the conference platform that Tyler was investigating? It looks good on the
surface. We're prepared to dive in and be the guinea pigs with it but must
decide soon.

Next option with the site is to just fork Paul's site from his svn, which
he's quite happy for us to do. I'm not sure where it's hosted but being
Drupal should fit in with OSGeo's platform? Then all we do is change skins
and content and we're done! To me these are the best two options. I'd like
your input or an OSGeo decision about which way to go. We'd obviously need
admin rights for at least two SA locals and would have the skill to work on
either platform.

Other options, which are low on my list, are doing our own site from scratch
and hosting it here, or building it on the GISSA site.

Logo:
We are working on this, will find out tomorrow at LOC meeting how things are
going.

Mailing list:
I'm happy to move from Google. Please set up an OSGeo list and give me admin
rights and some tips on migrating.

Document management:
We need a platform for sharing and collaborating on budgets, schedules, etc.
rather than sending e-mail attachments around. What does the OSGeo site
offer in this regard?

This would all be good input into our LOC meeting tomorrow.

cheers

Gavin

On 03/10/2007, Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com> wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
> it would be really really cool, if you could make up a Logo for FOSS4G 08
> real quick and maybe even provide a link to a site.
>
> There are quite a few pages out there pointing to FOSS4G 07 and people
> will start to take them down soon. If they get something nice to replace
> it with they might just keep it where it is and exchange the logo. This
> would save us a lot of work contacting people etc. I am pretty sure that
> Paul or someone from the conference committee can give you a list of
> people who have been contacted (it migfht even be in the Wiki but even I
> sometimes lose track nowadays... :-)
>
> There are several possible addresses for FOSS4G that I think have already
> been registered. My favorite would be
> http://www.foss4g.org
> and we can get it to make something like
> http://www.foss4g.org/2008 or
> http://2008.foss4g.org or whatever you think.
>
> BUT. Yes, it needs to be discussed (o man, how I sometimes hate to start
> things like these... :-) because there is a well reasoned argument for
> changing the whole name of the conference to the "OSGeo Conference" or
> something like that. We had voted on this some time back and came up with
> several arguments to keep it FOSS4G, therefore "yours" will be "FOSS4G
> 2008" but nobody knows what to do with the next yet (might also be that I
> am nobody in this case, you never know). But we should discuss this
> somewhere and time else (anybody feel like taking this to Discuss, I
> rather wont).
>
> If anybody remembers who registered http://www.foss4g2008.org/ please
> speak up, I think that would be a good placeholder that could just point
> to whatever it becomes in the end.
>
> Best regards, Arnulf
>
> --
> Arnulf Christl
> http://www.wheregroup.com
>
> PS:
> Just read up on what has already been discussed on conf. Good. Venka, you
> sound like you want to do '09... :-)
>
> Gavin,
> I am very sure that I would like the mailing list to rather stay under the
> hood of OSGeo instead of at Google. Do you think there might still be a
> chance to change that, will anybody be offended or will it disrupt
> communication? Its just that I am the unofficial corporate paranoid of
> OSGeo and try to keep a brand. One of our (OSGeo's) assets is that we can
> offer all kinds of FOSS GIS stuff under one roof (building a brand and so
> on).

Gavin Fleming
w: +27-11-709-4668
f: 0866164820