[OSGeo-Conf] foss4g 2010

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 30 12:20:00 EST 2008

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> I've started moving first slow steps coping the excellent job [1]
> Cameron & C. are doing and created a wiki page [2].
>
> I've seen that Sidney's LOC has created a nice and clear web site [3]
> with few, well centred, contents and needed links. What I would expect
> to know before call for proposal starts.
> I would love to set up a similar web site before publishing the press
> release.
> I was curios tu know if it makes sense to start directly with the famous
> OCS [4] or better do a plain HTML site as they've done since now.
> this is important before starting to adapt graphics to it.

Lorenzo,

There has been some difficulty in the past getting OCS conference
web sites to look as nice as desired, so a plain HTML web site might
be best.  IMHO we can focus on using OCS for managing presentation and
workshop submissions, selection, and scheduling rather than for general
attendie interactions.

> another doubt I have is about hosting.
> Should I ask SAC for it (space + database + site setup||ssh access) or
> better use  a server on my own?
>
> I will ask SAC for mailing lists for the event and confirm in this list
> once ready.

SAC can provide hosting for a plain html web site (on a telascience blade) and
mailing list(s) as needed.  Alternatively, if your LOC feels more comfortable
doing it, you can maintain the web site yourself.

Best regards,