[OSGeo-Conf] OCS

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Dec 30 20:15:06 EST 2008

thanks to Tyler I had my first ride on OCS.

as first impression I've seen,
PROs:
- deal well with timetable, registrations, call for proposal, ecc.
- have a simple way to customize layout using CSS
- it's up and running
- if we all use it, users will get used and year after year will be
easier for them to register and find materials.

CONs:
- all conferences have to share the same home page. This is good for
historical review but not, IMO, for two concurrent organizations (ex:
2009 and 2010) that need a clean a dedicated home page.
- there's the need for an effort to do a branded layout for FOSS4G in
general. who wants to take charge of it?

a first idea, I'm not yet convinced of, is that every LOC can do its own
instance of OCS, sharing learned lessons, but maintaining their own look
and feel and simplicity in the web site.
foss4g.org would anyway need a way to catalog all the coming, current,
past events and present them under a unique brand.

what other organizer think?

ciao
lorenzo