[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: [Board] wondering about short interest in proposals this year

David Percy percyd at pdx.edu
Sat Feb 2 01:55:54 EST 2008

Oh good, Portland will start reformatting its 2007 bid for 2014 or so
;-)

We're actually hosting the Geological Society of America in 2009, and
that will REALLY burn us out for several years. We did it last in 1996,
I think. It's like > 10,000 attendees...
Hoping to make it to OZ.
Cheers,
Percy

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> In addition to comments so far:
>
> If a bidding city is not selected, it should not be taken as a
> refusal, but rather a "please rebid next year". This is what we were
> thinking in Sydney. If  we lost 2009, then Sydney would have been a
> strong contender for 2010 or 2011.
>
> We should be developing a culture where cities expect to put in 2 or 3
> bids before winning the FOSS4G conference. It will help OSGeo create
> long term plans about moving the conference around the world.
> The conference committee should be providing feedback to unsuccessful
> cities, possibly ranking the results to help the cities refine their
> rebid and know whether their region will likely be selected the
> following year. ( I'd strongly encourage Europe and Central/South
> America to consider bidding for 2010 and 2011.)

David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department
Portland State University