[OSGeo-Conf] Conference Management Site

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Feb 15 15:01:12 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

A while back I set up the Open Conference System (http://pkp.sfu.ca/
ocs) software for OSGeo to use.  It is now running at: http://
conference.osgeo.org.  At the moment the FOSS4G 2008 team is starting
to use it for their site.  There is a learning curve we are working
through as well as trying to implement a few improvements.  I wanted
to keep the conference committee in the loop in case others were
interested in helping out managing the site (PHP hackers and css
gurus especially welcome!).

I also wanted to discuss additional uses for the site with this
group.  The software is set up in such a way as to be able to host
several events easily.  I believe it would be useful for other OSGeo
events to have access to this tool - for example, local chapters that
are planning events.  You can set up conference managers to run their
own portion of the site - it's quite good.  It helps you put together
a basic web site, but can also handle registration, paper
submissions, abstract review, peer review, approval and more.

What do you think of this idea?  I know a few events already that
could make use of it, but wanted to put the question to you first.

Best wishes,
Tyler