[OSGeo-Conf] Conference policy

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 12:05:54 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm not on the committee, but this modified page seems a bit broad.  I'd
> hate to see this accepted without some definition of "event".
>
> For instance, do local chapter meetings count as events?  How about
> ad-hoc code sprints?
>
> I'm all for protecting the brand, but am worried that this level of
> overhead and lack of clarity will stifle the independent spirit that has
> provided many of the "wins" for OSGeo.

Folks,

I agree with Jason.  The policy explicitly states that it applies to
events hosted by OSGeo chapters or "any other event that uses the OSGeo
name".  I think this is far too broad.  At the very least we need to
accept that local chapters can hold events in the OSGeo name without
waiting for approval from the board of directors.

Also, if the GDAL dev team wants to hold an "OSGeo GDAL Code Sprint"
somewhere, there is no reason this should be subject to the stated policy.

I think the policy should be changed restricted to "paid attendance" events
held in the name of OSGeo, and subject to the Conference Committee including
FOSS4G, and 3rd party operated conference events.

I'm -1 on the policy as stated due to it's "too broad" application.

Best regards,