[OSGeo-Conf] Conference policy

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Jul 18 02:37:46 EDT 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I should also reiterate that the OSGeo board is meeting this Friday to
> discuss this policy, so it is important that we all agree on this as
> soon as possible.  If you have read the modified policy and have no
> comments, please submit your vote (+1 or -1).
>
> -jeff

-0 Arnulf

I don't think that this policy [1] addresses my initial concerns which
is why I cannot support it wholeheartedly. Additionally I think that the
policy is way too heavy on stressing what has to be done to carry the
OSGeo logo in good faith at a conference, booth, exhibition - whatever.

My concern was strictly focused on making business with the name OSGeo -
and especially *in the name of* OSGeo. I still believe that this is not
a good idea and I do not see it addressed in this policy at all -
edxcept in ways that will put us kin the same awkward situation that we
were in before we started out - namely that half the responsible people
abstain from voting because they might potentially have a conflict of
interest.

I think we must rework this policy before we make it official - the way
it sounds now it will scare away people who would otherwise have
presented OSGeo in good faith - with or without commercial interest. It
will also put quite a lot of additional load on the conference and board
team.

Sorry that I seem to be incapable to communicate coherently.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Official_OSGeo_Event_Policy