[OSGeo-Conf] Can proprietary products be discussed/promoted at FOSS4G2009?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jul 23 09:49:01 EDT 2008

2007's take:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> While talking up FOSS4G2009 at a recent Australian conference (Qld SSI on
> the Gold Coast) we were asked:
>
> "Are proprietary products allowed to be discussed/promoted at FOSS4G?"

yes

> More specifically:
> * Do we accept presentations about integrating Open Source with Proprietary?

yes

> * Do we accept presentations from proprietary vendors about how they can
> integrate with Open Standards/Open Source?

open source, yes, open standards no, because then the presentation
would have no open source content

> * Are proprietary vendors allowed to Sponsor the conference?

yes

> * Are proprietary vendors allowed to set up a booth?

yes

> * Are proprietary vendors allowed to participate in an interoperability
> testbed?

yes, interoperability with proprietary software is good news for open
source as well as the proprietary software

>  - To what extent?

as much as they like

> My take is:
> FOSS4G 2009's theme is "User Driven" and users need to integrate open source
> with proprietary applications.
>
> So presentations and testbeds targeting "Integrating Proprietary with Open
> Source" should be encouraged, Proprietary only is not allowed, and at least
> 75% of the topics should be completely Open Source focused.

I wouldn't bother trying to maintain a quota, just ensure that all
talks have some open source content, and that you choose popular
topics. If the audience wants to hear lots and lots about proprietary
+ open source c'est la vie.

P.