[OSGeo-Conf] Can proprietary products be discussed/promoted at FOSS4G2009?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 02:36:41 EDT 2008

While talking up FOSS4G2009 at a recent Australian conference (Qld SSI
on the Gold Coast) we were asked:

"Are proprietary products allowed to be discussed/promoted at FOSS4G?"

More specifically:
* Do we accept presentations about integrating Open Source with Proprietary?
* Do we accept presentations from proprietary vendors about how they can
integrate with Open Standards/Open Source?
* Are proprietary vendors allowed to Sponsor the conference?
* Are proprietary vendors allowed to set up a booth?
* Are proprietary vendors allowed to participate in an interoperability
testbed?
  - To what extent?

My take is:
FOSS4G 2009's theme is "User Driven" and users need to integrate open
source with proprietary applications.

So presentations and testbeds targeting "Integrating Proprietary with
Open Source" should be encouraged, Proprietary only is not allowed, and
at least 75% of the topics should be completely Open Source focused.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally