[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] What domain name for foss4g2009?

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Jul 24 23:57:42 EDT 2008

On 2008/07/22 7:05 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Tour Hosts are setting up a web site for foss4g 2009 and we need to
> set a domain name.

Maybe too late for my 2 cents (I'm just back from vacation),
but here goes...

1)
OSGeo should have something consistent from year to year
for the domain name, and it should reflect that FOSS4G
is 'connected with' OSGeo. To accomplish that my sense
is that the most logical approach is to use subdomains[1]
such as http://foss4g2009.osgeo.org/

2)
Regardless of the selected domain/subdomain, I'm not in
favour of any forwarding that makes any visible difference
to users of the website. If http://foss4g2009.osgeo.org/
or http://www.foss4g.org/2009/ or whatever are going to
'forward' to somewhere else, such as
http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/2009
then keep such URIs internal - the users shouldn't be
typing in one easily remembered URI and ending up using
a URI that they can't remember.

3)
Regardless of the domain/subdomain, and the types of
software used for the website, it needs to end up
being something that can 'stick around' for years.
As such, OSGeo should own the domain for the website,
and SAC should make provisions for 'indefinite' hosting
of the website content after the conference, regardless
of where it is hosted prior to and during the conference.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdomain

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems