[OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jun 9 14:51:03 EDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> (a) The conference committee should decide on whether third-party
> promoted "OSGeo" events are acceptable at all, and
> (b) If they are acceptable, what decision process should be applied to
> third-party events.

As I wrote on the #osgeo IRC channel the other day, my take on this is
that I much welcome Paul/Jeff's teach-in initiative, I think it will
fill a real need and I don't fear the impact on the international OSGeo
conference which is international and likely to come back to one's
neighborhood only once every 5 years or so. However I do fear that
opening the door to use of the brand by events on which OSGeo has no
control involves a high risk of tarnishing the brand if one of those
events screws up. I trust Paul/Jeff to do an awesome job in this
specific case but it will be hard to say no to the next one requesting
the same thing even if we have doubts about their ability to do a good
job in representing OSGeo.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette