[OSGeo-Conf] Re: "OSGeo Teach-in

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 10 12:39:59 EDT 2008

Dave Patton wrote:
> The trigger for the current discussions about a
> 'policy regarding third-party promoted events
> using the OSGeo name' was a specific proposal.
>
> Would it help the discussion to consider
> alternative types of proposals?
>
> For example, what if it wasn't a "third-party event"?
> What if a proposal had been received wherein the
> proponents had suggested that they be paid[1] for
> managing an OSGeo-branded event?
>
> [1]
> Where payment might be a fixed amount, or share of
> profits, or some combination of the two.

Dave,

I would discourage broadening the discussion too much if you hope
to ever achieve some degree of consensus on a policy.  To me, the
question is what constraints and decision process should be used
before we allow conference/training events not operated by OSGeo
to use the OSGeo name, though I'm not sure exactly how the motion
was worded.

Note, I'm not envisaging this process being applied to events operated
by local chapters who in general terms can use the OSGeo name, and don't
require approval for activities from OSGeo itself.

Best regards,