[OSGeo-Conf] Re: "OSGeo Teach-in

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Tue Jun 10 14:02:31 EDT 2008

On 2008/06/10 9:39 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Dave Patton wrote:
>> The trigger for the current discussions about a
>> 'policy regarding third-party promoted events
>> using the OSGeo name' was a specific proposal.
>>
>> Would it help the discussion to consider
>> alternative types of proposals?
>>
>> For example, what if it wasn't a "third-party event"?
>> What if a proposal had been received wherein the
>> proponents had suggested that they be paid[1] for
>> managing an OSGeo-branded event?
>>
>> [1]
>> Where payment might be a fixed amount, or share of
>> profits, or some combination of the two.
>
> Dave,
>
> I would discourage broadening the discussion too much if you hope
> to ever achieve some degree of consensus on a policy.  To me, the
> question is what constraints and decision process should be used
> before we allow conference/training events not operated by OSGeo
> to use the OSGeo name, though I'm not sure exactly how the motion
> was worded.

I was trying to focus the discussion, not broaden it :-)

Policy:
A)
Guided by the Foundation's goal "To ensure a high degree of
quality in foundation projects in order to build and preserve
the foundation 'brand'", the Foundation will not lend it's
name or 'brand' to third-party products or events. OSGeo
local chapters are considered part of the Foundation.
B)
Guided by the Foundation's goal "To operate an annual OSGeo
Conference, possibly in cooperation with related efforts",
the Foundation may from time to time operate 'OSGeo events',
and such events may make use of third-party individuals and/or
companies to assist OSGeo in the organization and delivery
of such events.

P.S.
- I'm not on the conference committee, so the above is merely
   my suggestion.
- I have no idea if Paul & Jeff would be open to considering
   any amendments to their original proposal.
- If an 'OSGeo teach-in' is an "OSGeo event", then paying a
   third party to manage it (which doesn't preclude a profit-
   sharing agreement) is a similar model to how recent FOSS4G
   conferences are handled

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems