[Board] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 10 19:25:00 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:04:53PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Some factual stuff:

Yay!

> As priced in 2007, the workshops took in just enough money to pay for
> putting on the workshops. (Rooms for one day, computer rentals, A/V,
> food for students.)  The economics are indeed screwed, but not exactly
> in the way you imply.

Okay, this is interesting to know. I think I'm getting mixed up with
FOSSGIS, where the workshop revenue does subsidise the conference
(and the 'free' lunch - for real!) and the local non-profit.

(I see the request for "define higher-priced" on that wiki page.
I have no idea what comparable rates for corporate training are like.
OSCON workshops might be a "value-neutral" price/reward comparison.)

jo