[OSGeo-Conf] Belated lessons learned from WALIS conference

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:19:21 EDT 2008

The West Australian Land Information Systems (WALIS) conference held in
Perth, Australia in March 2008 attracted ~ 800 people, largely from
geospatial government departments and utilities.

As OSGeo, we set up a stand and an afternoon stream of presentations
dedicated to Open Source, Open Standards, Open Architecture, Open Data
and Open Communities attracted ~ 150 people. This was in addition
presentations about the WALIS Spatial Data Infrastructure offering WMS
and WFS services, much of which is based upon Open Source.

http://www.walis.wa.gov.au/forum/assets/2008/proceedings/open-standards-open-source-open-data.ppt

http://www.walis.wa.gov.au/forum/assets/2008/proceedings/readyforprimetime.ppt

Shirts
We wore business shirts, light blue with a green OSGeo text and logo on
the breast pocket. Our aim was to present a professional image to Open
Source. Show that Open Source has commercial organisations backing it
and we can provide the professional support you expect when you pay big
dollars for software. I believe dressing like commercial organisations
with quality shirts instead of t-shirts helps act as "hacker
deodourant". We have a box of these shirts now which will be used for
other Australian conferences.

Fliers
We have fliers printed a year ago which cover projects and committees as
things stood a year ago. There are around 15 different flients. These
were mildly useful. If someone asked about education, we could hand them
an education flier. Some people picked up all the fliers, but I'm not
sure they were likely to read them afterwards. Mostly, I found that the
fliers were too targeted at technology and not at business problems.
People come to you with business problems and want to know if Open
Source can help. "I want to publish to the web". "I analyze data and
want to automate it".

We only had fliers for OSGeo graduating/graduated packages, but what I
really wanted was to show a stack of Open Source GIS software, and there
are a few key holes in the OSGeo stack. In particular, PostGIS and
Geoserver are not OSGeo projects yet. And apart from GRASS, we don't
have fliers for the desktop clients: gvSIG or qGIS, JUMP derivatives, or
uDig.

What would be very useful is a diagram of the Open Source Stack, and
some honest feature comparison tables, which acknowledges both what open
source does and doesn't cover well.

Signage:

We have an "OSGeo" sign, but few people know what "OSGeo" mean. Many are
still unclear about the meaning of "Open Source". I think we'd have
better luck with:
"OSGeo: Quality Open Source Geospatial Software,"

Demos:
People like to touch and feel the applications. This is something we
could improve upon by installing a stack of OSGeo software. A Live CD
would be good.

Live CDs:
I haven't used one yet, but I reckon if we gave away live CDs of OSGeo
Software, they would go like hot cakes.

Costs:
We have started asking, and have received free stand registration for
the OSGeo Foundation.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect