[Marketing] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Sydney and conference software

venka.osgeo venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:00:50 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote: ...
>> I suspect that conference software has become a commodity item and
>> that there is little to be gained by using the same software every
>> year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> IMHO there is a lot to gain: - OSGeo branding effect: if you change
> every year the software, we never reach a feel-at-home effect -

I would agree with Markus. Apart from branding effect, using the
same software will help to manage and maintain the annual conference
content more easily instead of many people managing contents on
disparate web sites.

Despite some shortcomings in flexibility, OCS is still a good
Open Source tool for conference management.

my 0.02 cent