[Marketing] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Sydney and conference software

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed May 21 11:12:20 EDT 2008

I'm much in the same boat as Frank - I personally see high value in
having open access to our content and the underlying system, but
don't think I can help support a choice either way now due to lack of
time.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good job here for
someone, either as a volunteer or possibly in some part time work.  I
see several ads for OJS/OCS developers, for example.

In the end I see it as more of a question of having access to
presentations and other organisational details from year to year.
So far we are fine because our past events are still being
(voluntarily) hosted by past organisers and, presumably, we still
have people on the inside that can access the systems to suck the
info out when needed.

If we were able to implement a solution (and really, we already have
with OCS) and improve it so it met all our/PCO needs - the FOSS-lover
in me dreams that PCO's would have a free tool they could use
internally too.  I've seen some PCO's have to sub-license these kinds
of tools from other service providers as well, so they are not always
100% in charge of the tools anyway.

Tyler