[OSGeo-Conf] 2010 hosting RFP plans

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Sep 14 13:08:53 EDT 2008

Dave, comments inline below:

Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/09/08 9:36 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> I wish to thank everyone for their great input on the RFP draft in
>> last week's meeting (if you missed it you can view the meeting log[1]).
>>
>> The latest draft[2] should contain all of the agreed suggestions
>
>> [1] http://logs.qgis.org/foss4g/%23foss4g.2008-09-03.log
>> [2]
>> http://www.osgeo.org/sites/osgeo.org/files/webfiles/conference/rfp/2010/osgeo-conference-2010-request-for-proposal.pdf
>

> The RFP provides guidance to the people who will
> likely make up the LOC for the successful candidate,
> and in turn the RFP is probably part of the information
> provided by those people to a potential PCO that they
> may wish to use to help organize their conference.
>
> 1)
> Perhaps under the "Support by OSGeo" section on page 5,
> is it worthwhile adding something along the lines of:
> "Participants in OSGeo projects and committees come
> from all parts of the globe, so the primary means of
> collaboration and communication used by OSGeo are
> mailing lists and the OSGeo wiki.  It is expected that
> these tools will also be used for the collaboration
> and communications needed to organize the FOSS4G 2010
> conference".

Excellent point.  I have added your text to the existing "Communication"
section.

> 2)
> FOSS4G2007 has an extensive Lessons Learned page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_Lessons_Learned
> 2008 has the skeleton of a page, but no content yet
> (presumably will be updated after the conference?):
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_Lessons_Learned
> 2009 has a page, with the start of some content:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Lessons_Learned
> The "Communication" section of the RFP includes a
> "Home Web Page" subsection(page 9). Either as another
> subsection after this, or elsewhere, is it worthwhile
> to reference the OSGeo wiki in general, and/or the
> Lessons Learned pages from 'prior' conferences?

Each conference report in the RFP's appendix has a "Suggestions" section
already, and the FOSS4G2007 lessons_learned wiki page is already
referred to there.
(by the way these lessons_learned wiki pages ARE an excellent way to
pass on experiences, and we'll definitely include any future
lessons_learned pages in future RFPs)

thanks for the input Dave!

--
Jeff McKenna