[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Discussion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 15 11:14:07 EDT 2009

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> OSGeo Conference Committee members,
>
> I haven't seen any other discussions, or modifications to the 2011 Wiki
> page, since I suggested that we hold a vote to determine what changes
> (if any) are required for 2011.  So I will continue on with the plan.
>
> Please vote on one of the 4 options for 2011, as outlined on the 2011
> Wiki page[1]:
>
>   A. Modified Status Quo
>   B. Two Track Strategy
>   C. Both Annual and Regional Events in Same Year
>   D. No changes to the Existing Process
>
> If the successful option requires changes to the FOSS4G hosting process,
> the changes will be brought to the OSGeo Board for approval.  Voting can
> occur for one week, until the end of the 21st.

Jeff,

I vote for (A) - Modified Status Quo - that is to reduce the bid overhead
for FOSS4G.

I also think there needs to be regional events, but it is not clear to what
extent this conference committee needs to be involved in them.  Traditionally
there have been several held that were adequately operated by local chapters.
I am not convinced we have the capacity to operate multiple conferences per
year as the OSGeo Conference Committee, nor that our involvement would
necessarily be a positive.  In some contexts it might just seem like
interference.

Best regards