[OSGeo-Conf] Re:FOSS4G Conference Presentations and an academictrack

Venka venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:49:13 EDT 2009

Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> This year, more than an ISBN (which means nothing), we need a good
> journal to published some selected papers. We don't have much time, but
> I think we could talk with Springer to have the FOSS4G proceedings
> published in the Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography series
> http://www.springer.com/series/7418

I agree with what Jorge said above. A siziable increase in academic
submisiions could
be accepted if the papers that should be indexed with various indexing
services
EI, SCI , SSCI..

Publishing selected papers as special issue of scientific journals or
Lecture Notes
would be very good. We also need to explore a publisher who would be
willing to
publish under Creatice Commons as a special arrangement with the FOSS4G
orgranizers. I could exlpore a few journals in Asia which could be
willing to
consider such an arrangement.
> As I said in the beginning, it is a strategic option: either we do have
> an academic track or not. But if we choose to have one, we should make
> it seriously.

+1 for academic track and also for doing it seriously.

Venka