[OSGeo-Conf] Localizing FOSS4G

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Nov 2 04:00:30 EST 2009

Folks,
apart from FOSS4G I have been to 15 events organized by OSGeo Local
Chapters this year and was impressed by the diversity and quality. At the
same time most of these events are fairly disconnected from this
conference committee and mainstream OSGeo. Most of you will not have heard
of the Athens event, OSGeo booth at AGIT, LinuxTag, gfoss.it (next week)
and so on. Therefore I want to suggest to make an effort to invite local
event coordinators to join this list and report on what is going on, if
only to just keep track. Additionally we might profit form learning about
problems and what went well.

The second proposal that I want to make is to integrate this conference
committee better with the global FOSS4G event. As I have pointed out in an
earlier email to this list Barcelona will be special because it does not
take place in a native English speaking region. As fas as I can tell the
Local Organizing Committee will communicate in Spanish or even Catalán for
a good part of the local work. While this is fine by me it makes it even
harder to tie in and follow up if there are any issues. How can we give
them support and let them profit from our considerable experience over the
past years without taking over too much? Ideas anyone?

Regards,
Arnulf