[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Next Step: Question period and voting

Gavin gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 03:00:27 EDT 2010

No direct questions for now since Denver's is the only letter of intent
in the running. (Bogota, please consider developing your bid for a
future FOSS4G!)

A question for the bid period, not now: Further to the discussion about
timing I'd ask Eric more systematically to list other international
events to motivate their chosen time and expose any other possible
clashes and synergies.

Denver's bid for 2010 was quite comprehensive and as Eric has said it
pretty much stands for 2011 too. Eric, perhaps a quick review of changes
in the interim would be in order - either accompanying your bid or
involving a brief update thereof. Aspects like budget, dates, LOC
members, conference structure, etc.

I would also like to propose that with a solo qualifying letter of
intent, we bring forward the decision on awarding the conference. The
conference committee would need time only to discuss details of one bid,
with no involved comparisons. This would give Denver an extra month or
so to prepare.

Gavin

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 22:13 -0400, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> for the US academic world (faculty and students), early September is tough because it is the start of semester,
> and there is GSA early October. Week before AGU may work OK, although there is always some
> schedule conflict given the diversity of OSGeo community but I don't see change in timing as necessarily a bad thing
> (it will be cold though).
>
> I too agree with Frank and Paul and suggest to issue a motion to proceed with Denver.
>
> Just a note - registration at $700 level mentioned by Paul is really high compared to some other
> geo-related conferences.
> Although I don't remember the fee from the last year's Denver I would like to ask whether
> it will be possible to offer some discounts for students.
>
> Helena
>
> On Apr 26, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Eric Wolf wrote:
>
> > Paul & Committee,
> >
> > Question: Can you address any issues you might see with holding the
> > conference within the approximate "usual" date range for FOSS4G
> > (September/October)
> >
> > You are right to put "quotes" around usual in this case. FOSS4G 2009 was held 20-23 Oct. FOSS4G 2010 will be held 6-9 Sept. The temporal distance between the two is 41 days. If we hold FOSS4G 2011 the week before (Nov 28-Dec 2) AGU 2011 (which is Dec 5-9), the temporal distance is 36 days. Technically, those dates are closer to 2009 than the 2010 dates.
> >
> > There are two main arguments for the later date: cost and preparedness. Late November/early December is in the off-season for conferences in Denver. Both venue costs and travel costs are reduced. As for preparedness, the decision where to hold FOSS4G 2010 was made in December of 2008. The Barcelona LoC will have had over 20 months to prepare. It is almost May 2010 and Denver does not have an actionable decision. This means, even with a December conference, we will have at most 19 months to prepare. According to the RFP, we will not have a final decision until 11 June 2010. If we have a September FOSS4G, the LoC will only have 15 months to prepare.
> >
> > The Denver LoC would be willing to provide alternate budget figures for September dates.
> >
> > -Eric Wolf
> > On behalf of the Denver LoC
> >

> > -=--=---=----=----=---=--=-=--=---=----=---=--=-=-
> > Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
> > USGS Geographer
> > Center of Excellence in GIScience
> > PhD Student
> > CU-Boulder - Geography