[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [mapserver-dev] GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Jul 8 07:54:51 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 09:12 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> El 08/07/10 07:58, Judit Mays escribió:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have not been reading the corresponding mails on the mapserver-dev
>> list, but from what I have been reading here I would like to toss in my
>> 2 cent.
>>
>> Limiting the presentations to one per person disregarding the topics
>> they talk on would obviously not make much sense. So instead of focusing
>> too much on the number of talks per person, I would value it higher to
>> ensure that the OSGeo-Gathering-Of-Tribes (FOSS4G) will first of all
>> represent all OSGeo projects equally well, while also giving other
>> (non-OSGeo) open source projects a fair chance to present their projects
>> and work.
>>
>> So instead of focusing on "how many presenters from whatever
>> company/organization?" I suggest to focus on "does the conference
>> program present the OSGeo projects well?". Once that is achieved, give
>> the remaining free slots to non-OSGeo open source projects so they may
>> gather enough momentum to join OSGeo in the near of far future.
>>
>> With regard to what Cameron said about the hard job of choosing which
>> abstract to accept: I am glad that it is not my duty to do the selection.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Judit
>>

> I also agree Judit, but maybe it's just because there is no one gvSIG
> Desktop presentation at all selected for the conf and that annoys me
> somehow.

...understandably. More so because FOSS4G is a guest in Spain and gvSIG
has a really strong local community.

As others have said, we might want to make sure for the next program to
have at least one presentation or other event for each project that is
closely associated with OSGeo.

Having said that I also want to thank the LoC to have gone through the
selection process, I know by experience what a little tankful job it is.

In the end it will always be the decision of a limited group of people
who try to give their best and I can not see any fixed set of rules that
will get us out of this situation. But it is good to have this dialog
and learn from experience to help future LoCs.

Best regards,
Arnulf

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind