[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2011 Attendance Projections and Attendee Profiles

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:37:23 EDT 2010

Good work with your analysis.

My input:
There are around 250 to 300 core international foss4g attendees who will
attend every year.
Europe (a big polulation center) has just had a conference in 2010, so
their attendance will be down. I'd guess that their figures will be
somewhere between 2008 and 2009. (Europe had less people come in 2009
than we expected).

Overall, I think your assessment that you will have similar numbers to
Canada is probably reasonably accurate. I'm hope to see 100 to 300
people more than Canada, with the US having a higher population density.

So targeting a conference venue to cater for at least 900 to 1000
maximum people should be fine.

On 17/06/10 00:43, Eric Wolf wrote:
> I have beat my head against the attendance projections long enough now
> to realize that there is no formula based on the data we have
> collected about past FOSS4G events to predict future events. What I
> think works best is to take the top 20 countries and make three
> guesses for each about how many people are likely to attend: low, mid
> and high. The low being near the low end of that country's attendance
> history, the mid being near the average (unless their is a definite
> upward trend), and the high being near that country's highest
> attendance. I did not make allowances for downward trends due to the
> recent economic factors. The host country would contribute 50%-60% of
> the attendance. Fortunately, I had a high US attendance in Victoria to
> provide some confidence.
>
> My guess for attendance at FOSS4G 2011 in Denver is:
>
> Low: 426
> Mid: 839
> High: 1431 (capped at 1200)
>
> Brady Forrest, who organizes the Where 2.0 conference for O'Reilly and
> has attended FOSS4G in the past, said he thinks we should expect the
> same number as Victoria, plus or minus 100 (621-821). That bears out
> with my guesstimate. We do have a wildcard with access to the GITA
> members who are not traditionally FOSS4G attendees.
>
> Does anyone have any other input?
>
> I have also been working on "attendee profiles" to help GITA put
> together their bid requests from the venues. I did not think it was
> fair to create a single attendee profile for FOSS4G as it's a diverse
> conference. The breakdown of these attendees is important because we
> need to be able to estimate how many people will stay in the
> conference hotel. It is typical in the US for many venue costs to be
> eliminated based on the number of people staying in the hotel. Please
> see the Wiki:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2011_Denver_Attendance_Projections
>
> -Eric

> Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
> USGS Geographer
> Center of Excellence in GIScience
> PhD Student
> CU-Boulder - Geography