[OSGeo-Conf] Projections and Profiles

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:18:32 EDT 2010

In order to put better understand the venue needs for FOSS4G 2011, I have
come up with some rough projections based on 2007-2009 attendance. I also
created four "profiles" of different sorts of attendees and the percentage
of the whole that I suspect they would make up. I would greatly appreciate
feedback on any of this - especially if I'm missing something. Feel free to
check out the same on the WIki:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2011_Denver_Attendance_Projections#Attendee_Profiles

Attendance
 Pessimistic 426
 Likely 839
 Optomistic: 1431 (capped at 1200)

Profiles:

Low-income Contributor - 15%

This person may be a student, come from a developing nation, or just be
under-employed. She will be paying out of pocket for the conference. She
will not stay at the conference hotel and may even be interested in a hostel
or "couch-surfing". She will use public transportation or borrow a bicycle
(highlight the new Denver bike share program). Despite her low income, she
will come armed with at least one laptop and a smart phone. She will use the
conference WiFi and power outlets heavily.
   a. Low conference fee with extras being optional
   b. Very low cost accommodation options
   c. Heavy use of wifi and power
   d. More likely to lead a workshop than attend one.

FOSS Professional - 30%

This person may be a consultant applying FOSS for customers or work for a
large company integrating FOSS into the company's systems. Consultants will
be paying out of pocket (as consultants always do) and others will have
their employer either pay for or reimburse costs. She may likely stay at the
conference hotel to increase networking opportunities. If she doesn't stay
at the conference hotel, she will stay at a nearby hotel. She will come to
workshops with a laptop but may only carry a smart phone to presentations.
She will rely on public transportation or cabs. Most US government employees
fall in this category. Many of these people like to self-identify with the
"Low-income Contributor" as there is a certain romance to being heavily
involved in contributing to FOSS.
  a. Will pay for extras, especially if the conference fee is low.
  b. Likely stay at conference hotel if the rates are good
  c. Likely to attend many workshops

Business Leader - 5%

This person will be in upper management or an officer of a company. The
company may be an established utility or a tech startup. Her time is more
valuable than the cost of the conference. She will stay at the conference
hotel but will likely only stay for a one or two days. She will rely on
taxis rather than public transportation. May have a laptop but more likely
will use a smart phone or a tablet with 3G rather than depending on WiFi.
  a. May appreciate an "everything" registration option.
  b. Will stay at the conference hotel
  c. May attend a workshop or two but won't want to choose until she is
here.

Colorado Front Ranger - 50%

This person is from the local area and may fit one of the above profiles.
Her company may give her one or two days off to attend workshops or key
presentations but may not pay for registration. She will not stay in a hotel
and will either drive or use public transportation each day to reach the
event. She will have a laptop and a smart phone and will use WiFi and power.
May attend one social event but not all.
  a. Would appreciate single-day registrations
  b. Will not stay at the conference hotel (or any hotel)
  c. Will likely attend many workshops - and may skip the rest of the
conference.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography