[OSGeo-Conf] Who decides the foss4g program (and other big decisions)?

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Fri May 28 14:09:52 EDT 2010

Tyler,

You mention "time critical decisons."  Has anyone tried to delineate these?

Just thinking aloud, myself... the three most critical decisions are
precisely "where", "when" and "how much". By precisely, I mean the exact
venue, exact dates, and pricing structure. There are two major impactors on
these decisions: general program structure and estimated number of
attendees. If we can reasonable place upper and lower bounds on both of
these impactors, we can narrow where and when.

>From what I gather from the first handful of comments about the Denver
proposal is that workshops are now seen as a more significant factor than
when we first assembled the proposal in December 2008. At that time, there
seemed to be an desire for an emphasis on the code sprint.

Fortunately, the "when" question isn't significantly impacted by workshops
vs. code sprint. The conference remains a similar number of days. Neither is
the "where" significantly impacted. However, the "how much" is to a great
extent. The workshops can be seen as a revenue source whereas the code
sprint is entirely an expense.

(FYI: that last sentence is what drove us to increase the code sprint as we
originally saw the main conference as a way to help pay for a really good
weekend of hacking)

Just some thoughts...

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography