[OSGeo-Conf] Regarding local/mini conferences

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 28 20:23:09 EDT 2010

> What is the official OSGeo policy on using the "FOSS4G" brand
> name in local
> and/or mini conferences?

Dan, there was some past discussion which ended up in creation of this draft page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Conference_Policy

That might help at least highlight some of the issues that have been brought up in the past and I think this is the most formalised document addressing it.  I'd have to dig up more info to give you a complete picture, but basically the board agreed that a policy was needed before being able to approve re-use of our brand(s) for 3rd party run events.  Though you're not exactly talking about 3rd party here.. hmm..

I'll give others on the list a chance to share before spamming you with too many links, but this thread might give enough background:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-June/000576.html

Hope that helps somewhat.  For what it's worth, I do believe this next 12 month period is going to see several requests like this and we're going to need to nail this down sooner than later.

Tyler