[OSGeo-Conf] My Beijing proposal questions

Gao Ang tomgaoang at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 03:25:57 EDT 2011

Dear Jeff:

The answers to the above questions are as follows:

- I notice that your full proposal does not contain the list of
members of your local organizing committee, but the letter of intent
does: is there any changes to this list of members or is it the same?
If it is the same, I would hope that you consider adding a
representative from a local private company onto your committee (as
your committee does not contain private sector members, and we hope
that the accepted host team has a varied local committee)

OSGeo China: The members from full proposal and the letter of intent
are the same. We will make a supplement on the full proposal. We get
good cooperation with the local private company, and we'd like to add
representatives from them to the OSGeo China committee based on your
suggestions.

- Thank you for providing a list of accommodations: I noticed the 5
(or more!) star hotels near Olympic park, but I was not aware of the
other more affordable hotels near there.  I believe most international
FOSS4G attendees would be looking for the hotels lower than 5 star.

OSGeo China: We will provide some hotels lower than 5 star and some
hostels according to the needs of participants.

- I don't see the 1 or 2 days of hands-on workshops on your
presentation blueprint schedule.  Would those be held on Monday and
Tuesday before the conference?

OSGeo China: We will organize the hands-on workshops and add them on
the schedule.

- I notice that your proposed schedule has the regular presentations
running over 5 days, from a Wednesday to a Sunday.  I am aware that it
is common in Asia for events to run on Saturdays and Sundays; but most
international travelers will likely fly home on that weekend.  What
are your thoughts on that issue?  Can you explain (for the other OSGeo
conference committee members that have not yet been to Asia) that it
is common practice for events to operate on weekends in Asia?(meaning:
please explain why you chose to run the event for those days of the
week)

OSGeo China: Conference will last for 6 days (registration day
included). We often take party in the technical conference on weekend
in China. But we thought it is also accepted for Monday to Friday for
the conference.

- I notice that you are not committed to using a local Professional
Conference Organizing company.  Please note that the amount of work to
organize an international event like this is staggering.  For that
reason, since 2007 almost every FOSS4G event has used a professional
company to help organize.  Like you said, it is not required, but
without it it puts your (7 or so?) local committee members in a very
tough spot (they would likely have to work on this fulltime for that
last month, at least).  I hope you can reconsider this decision.

OSGeo China: We'll discuss with the local committee and bring in a
Professional Conference Organizing company to deal with the
miscellanies of the conference.

- I notice that your proposed schedule has the event on "21 Sept 2012
Tuesday" to "26 Sept 2012 Sunday" but in fact those dates do not match
the days of the week (21 Sept 2012 is a Friday).  Can you please
clarify the correct dates that you are proposing for your event?

OSGeo China: The proposed schedule is "18 Sept 2012 Tuesday" to "23
Sept 2012 Sunday" for the conference.

Best regards