[OSGeo-Conf] Event rotation

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Tue Jul 12 10:26:29 EDT 2011

I was going to make the same point as Dan. While helping organizing teams
plan is one aim of the rotation, I would have thought that the primary aim
is to make sure we have more consistent accessibility for attendees in
various parts of the world, and avoid the situation we have just had where
we have gone 4 years without a conference in the Americas (for example). If
it ended up in Europe 3 out of 4 years that seems to go against the aim of
making it more accessible to the global community.

I think another factor in managing things is that the selection needs to be
made earlier, so we are not scrambling in a situation like this. For 2010,
Barcelona was selected in December of 2008, so they had 21 months to
prepare. For 2011, the process started later, and Denver was notified in
June 2010, giving us 15 months to prepare. For 2012, the process started
later again, and whoever is selected (assuming the date remains similar)
will have 12 months or so to prepare. FOSS4G has grown large enough that 12
months is really not a lot of notice to organize it. We need to get further
ahead of the game on selecting the location for future events, which will
also help in the broader planning process (to be able to have more time to
seek alternatives in the originally planned locations, etc).

So anyway, there are various factors to consider, but overall I think that
the primary consideration is the community, not the convenience of the
organizers (though we want to help them too of course), and so I lean pretty
strongly against doing it in Europe 3 out of 4 years.

Cheers,
    Peter.