[OSGeo-Conf] Event rotation

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Jul 12 10:36:03 EDT 2011

On 12.07.2011 16:26, Peter Batty wrote:
> I was going to make the same point as Dan. While helping organizing
> teams plan is one aim of the rotation, I would have thought that the
> primary aim is to make sure we have more consistent accessibility for
> attendees in various parts of the world, and avoid the situation we have
> just had where we have gone 4 years without a conference in the Americas
> (for example). If it ended up in Europe 3 out of 4 years that seems to
> go against the aim of making it more accessible to the global community.

Hi All,
to me this seems to be the most important factor:

> I think another factor in managing things is that the selection needs to
> be made earlier, so we are not scrambling in a situation like this.

The size and style of FOSS4G requires a dimension of logistics which
asks for a longer planning horizon.

To add another perspective:
Each region / community can stand up their own confernce like many
already do (Japan, Germany, Italy, etc.). To be honest - I would like to
see more of this. It would be a very convincing argument for me if a
local committe can say we have organized a similar event in the past
three years with growing success and now we want the super splendor
FOSS4G international event here. Great, much less worries. So in a way
instead of seeing FOSS4G as a seeding event what it was up to now it
might also evolve into the master event which can build upon the success
of existing infrastuctures.

Best regards,
Arnulf