[OSGeo-Conf] My Vietnam questions

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 13 13:36:49 EDT 2011

Hello Mr. Nguyen Huu Chinh and the Vietnam local committee,

Thank you for submitting a letter of intent to host the FOSS4G 2012
event.  I have a few questions that I hope someone from your local
committee can answer through this mailing list:

- It is not clear to me who is the chair of your local committee, please
clarify this for me.

- Can you give some examples of how CIREN is leveraging FOSS4G/OSGeo
software?

- Have you begun talks with the NCC or the Melia Hanoi venues, to see
about their availability?  What dates/months are you considering?

- I like that your local committee contains representatives from
commercial companies, academic organizations, and government
organizations.  Has your local committee given any thought to an overall
theme for the event? (such as natural resources and FOSS4G use, etc.)

- Are you proposing that the FutureGov and GIS Development organizations
act as the professional conference organizer?  If yes, I think that is
great that you have mentioned that here in the proposal - to allow your
local committee to focus only on specific FOSS4G tasks.

- Your letter of intent is 3 pages long, yet the guidelines specifically
stated "a maximum of 2 pages" for the letter of intent, can you explain
why your letter is not within those guidelines?

Finally, I have had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful city of
Hanoi, in March of 2010.  I would enjoy the chance to sit along the
street again and sip some tasty local coffee with your friendly
countrymen once again.

Talk soon,

-jeff