[OSGeo-Conf] Re: Motion Regarding FOSS4G-CEE Name

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Thu Oct 13 04:20:20 EDT 2011

I'd like to comment some more on FOSS4G-CEE and why the impact on global
FOSS4G will be minor (at least in the following years).

We are targeting an geographic/cultural/economic area with few
participants to the global FOSS4G conference (only 5 attendees to
Denver). This is mainly due to: a) high price of participation to the
global FOSS4G; b) Lack of a strong FOSS4G community. In my opinion,
FOSS4G-CEE should:

* Keep the cost of participation as low as possible. We can do this by
organizing the event in partnership with universities and use their
facilities for the conference/practical workshops. We can still make
some revenue for OSGeo.
* Focus on students. The CEE FOSS4G community should be constructed from
the bottom.
* Present as many FOSS4G case studies/success stories as possible. We
need to convince the participants that FOSS4G software is capable to
resolve their needs, from simple tasks to complex projects as the
national SDIs.
* Invite a fair number of FOSS4G/OSGeo leaders and charismatic
characters. Our young community needs to be inspired and find some
models to follow.
* Bring in national/european actors involved in INSPIRE

My two cents,
Vasile