[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Cookbook

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 14 19:00:24 EDT 2011

On October 14, 2011 03:26:55 PM Rappo Daniel wrote:
> Guys,
>
> My concerns are a bit far from yours right now and I don't intend to modify
> your plans, but I can't forget this impressive 2006 experience through a
> conference mgmt software developed & hosted at the "Sir Tim" proposal
> birthplace ;-). Today Indico stays a really great piece of open source
> code!

Yeah I hear good things about it too.  From my experience, the particular
challenge won't be the platform though, it will be the personel to support it.
First the people to install/run and pitch it to this group.  Second, the
people to maintain, customise and support it.

I'm keeping my eyes open for friends that could help make this happen (I know
waaaay more people who can support Drupal than OCS or Indico, etc) - I suggest
others do the same, so we can connect people together to share value rather
than sitting and waiting for someone to magically take it on.

In OSGeo we have a question as well about whose responsibility it is to
maintain and run sites - including FOSS4G related ones.  Hopefully we can get
over that hurdle (especially on my mind this week as I pass on my personal
keys to the castle!) - but it takes proactively connecting people rather than
general blanket invites for people to "volunteer". </rant>

Good to hear from you Daniel!  Greetings from western Canada :)

Tyler