[OSGeo-Conf] 2013 Letter of Intent Results

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Apr 17 00:02:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/04/2012 4:20 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>> In the interests of (partial) transparency, the results are:
>>
>> - Nottingham 4
>> - Helsinki 2
>> - Prague 1
>>
>> Nottingham and Helsinki are therefore invited to submit full proposals
>> by the May 31, 2012 deadline. If you would prefer to withdraw and do
>> not plan to submit a full proposal, please let me know as soon as
>> possible.
>

> Before we ask two cities to pull together two comprehensive, and time
> consuming proposals, which will consume a decent amount of OSGeo's
> collective volunteer energy, I'd like to question what we would gain from
> the 2 proposals, beyond what we have already?
>
> * Who amongst the volunteers on our committee will have the time to read the
> 50 to 100 odd pages put forward by both cities?

Better be all of us.

> * How many of us are likely to change our vote based upon the extra
> information provided?

Count me as one. Preparing a good bid is an excellent exercise in
thinking about what you want and how you'll realize it. If you can't
do it, you probably can't put on a good conference. The RFP process
notes this, in that it says that even if only one bidder passes the
LOI stage, they have to prepare a full bid.

> Should we continue with asking two cities to put forward proposals, then we
> should let cities know which way other committee members are likely to vote
> in the next round. Ie. Ask members who haven't voted so far, but who intend
> to vote on the next round, to indicate their preference to cities. (Paul
> would you mind collecting extra votes and then publishing results?)

As much as I enjoy circumventing procedure, we have published an RFP
with a set process, precisely to provide the bidders some certainty
that we're not just going to arbitrarily muck around. I don't really
want to open up the "what would have voted if..." can of worms. The
vote is what it is. Folks are free to make their decisions in the
light of the information available.

P.