[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 16 13:34:41 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Dave McIlhagga
<dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that we re-think the role of the committee to becoming an advisory and support role -- one where we go through the process of reviewing and evaluating proposals, providing feedback etc.., but instead of voting - providing feedback to the board who would then make the decisions.
>
> Once a decision is made by the board -- then this committee's work can shift towards supporting the various LOCs in their efforts to pull off the event that OSGeo is supporting.
>
> I really think that in this light, the decision about FOSS4G 2012 may well have been different.
>
> I would also suggest -- this is an issue the board needs to discuss and make a decision on. Right now, my feeling is the tail is wagging the dog -- and I'm personally uncomfortable with the power this committee has on the overall organization as a result of the decisions we are being asked to make.

Paul,

I *like* not having too much as a direct task of the board.

I do think it is reasonable for the board to provide direction
to the committee - for instance with regard to priorities of
revenue/attendance vs. promotion in underserved regions.

It is also clear that the committee is less proactive than it
could be.

Jeff,

I will say I'm not too keen on more things as charter
member votes.  They are complex to administer and
for something like FOSS4G site selection it is hard to
imagine many people doing a deep review of proposals.
As a member of the committee I was slack in this regard.

There is a definite diversity of opinion on the goals of
the conference (regional promotion vs. revenue vs.
meeting of the tribes).  My inclination is to try and
reach some compromise that serves all these needs
although of course that likely means not serving any of
them very well.

Best regards,