[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Mon Aug 20 07:41:52 PDT 2012

Hi Conf team,

> It is indeed a good time to step back, take a breath, be proud of what
> we accomplished, and make some changes for the future.

Personally I think the most important thing the conf team and board should
jointly be deciding on right now is how, or if, OSGeo can financially
support two or more events. David Bitner and Steven Feldman have both asked
this question a couple of times and it seems to have got lost in the noise.

For FOSS4G 2013, we're extremely keen that our partner organisation, the
AGI, don't have to take on any additional risk for helping us with FOSS4G,
and that was the basis under which we agreed to go forward with the
proposal, but that was before there was a decision to hold FOSS4GNA again,
and for OSGeo to potentially provide financial cover for that event too.

I'm not trying to say that other events shouldn't be covered- but should
you be establishing a protocol for moving forward, such as an amount which
you will cover, or a plan for what happens if both events need a helping
hand, and what you'd do in a year when there was a FOSS4GEU or similar?

Jo

--
***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18

864201149.