[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Aug 20 07:50:26 PDT 2012

On 12-08-20 11:41 AM, Jo Cook wrote:
> Personally I think the most important thing the conf team and board
> should jointly be deciding on right now is how, or if, OSGeo can
> financially support two or more events. David Bitner and Steven Feldman
> have both asked this question a couple of times and it seems to have got
> lost in the noise.
>
> For FOSS4G 2013, we're extremely keen that our partner organisation, the
> AGI, don't have to take on any additional risk for helping us with
> FOSS4G, and that was the basis under which we agreed to go forward with
> the proposal, but that was before there was a decision to hold FOSS4GNA
> again, and for OSGeo to potentially provide financial cover for that
> event too.
>
> I'm not trying to say that other events shouldn't be covered- but should
> you be establishing a protocol for moving forward, such as an amount
> which you will cover, or a plan for what happens if both events need a
> helping hand, and what you'd do in a year when there was a FOSS4GEU or
> similar?

Hi Jo,

You're bang on, and this is where I am silent - I don't really know how
we can support other events (with so few volunteers, as well as
financially).

So I am very much interested to hear how we can do this.

I've added this to today's Board meeting discussion.  I am not sure the
answer but hopefully we can all work this out soon.

-jeff