[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Aug 20 07:48:33 PDT 2012

From my experience, the problem with the current process is that it's a rubber-stamp at the Board level -- so in effect the actual decision is made at the committee level with the board being asked to simply approve.

An improvement could be to have the committee put together a write-up reviewing proposals - perhaps pre-selected criteria to comment on - that the board can use as expert insight before making a decision. In this way the committee can continue to have useful input and influence while leaving the Board to make the actual decision in light of all factors influencing the organization.

I think it would be worthwhile for the board to also review the 3 year rotation process and policies regarding OSGeo engagement with local events, especially in light of the number of regional events that are popping up. For instance, I'm not sure that the rotation is actually required anymore since the regional events may well be serving the original need this was established for.

Dave