[OSGeo-Conf] Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Tue Jan 31 03:09:25 EST 2012

Dear mr Xianfeng Song,

Thank you for reacting to my earlier email. Let me remind you that
originally, I was asked to "strengthen the Academic Track" following up on
a MoU between OSGEO and the ICA. The idea was not to take over all
organisation of the AT, but to let most things be worked on (as usual) by
the LOC and just act as a sort of 'special issue overview group'  to make
sure there would be enough quality for a special ISI journal issue in the
coming years. In the mean time we have a preliminary OK from Transactions
of GIS editor John Wilson for a special issue running for several years.
So the Scientific Committee would act as editors for this special issue.
And the original idea was also to have the AT CfP and selection done
enough early to have the Special Issue available at the conference itself
(as is the case with the special issue TGIS has every year at the ESRI
User Conference). We realized that this would not be possible in 2012, but
it is what we aim for in future years. And in 2012 we already want the
special issue papers selected BEFORE the conference.

Thus, there would be no need for chairs of the sessions to judge quality
based on, and during, oral/poster presentation. We think that you can not
judge the quality of a paper based on its presented version, it should be
properly peer reviewed based on its actual written contents.

But our planned time-line for the special issue came into problems,
because of the various delays and the lack of communication. I must admit
that I thought a week or so ago that the whole conference would not
materialise, as nothing seemed to happen on the Beijing end. Now,
fortunately that fear seems misplaced, with the time-line sent in the
email from mr Gao Ang. However, his planned time-line for things like
publishing the website and the Call for Papers might be OK for the general
conference, but way to late to have any realistic hope for enough
high-quality academic papers to fill a TGIS issue before the conference.

With all this in mind I decided to send my latest email (30 januari) to
the LOC; and yes, it is a bit invasive (some might say rude, sorry for
that), but I felt that this was needed to clarify if we can organize the
Academic Track the way we envisaged.

So I would urgently ask you and the rest of the LOC to decide in their
upcoming meeting:
- Do you feel comfortable in having the Scientific Committee as it stands
now (mrs Coetzee, mrs Mitasova, mr Moreno, myself, and including, as I
sincerely hope, mr Xianfeng Song) take up organization of the CfP and
paper selection for the Academic Track? It would mean we would follow our
own time-line for this, and we would sent a CfP for the AT out quickly,
ahead of the general FOSS4G CfP.

Let me assure you that I will not feel in the least offended if you decide
that this line of action does not fit your current conference set-up. I
would be perfectly OK with having the LOC take up te organisation
themselves along the lines they have already planned. We can then take the
initiative of the special issue running for several years to 2013 and
further.

I hope this clarifies my earlier email, please feel free to provide
further questions or comments.

Yours truly,

--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,