[OSGeo-Conf] [Foss4g2013] Should we write a FOSS4G Cookbook?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 14:30:00 PDT 2012

On 08/09/12 05:05, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Dne 7.9.2012 14:58, Jo Cook napsal(a):
>> >Dear All,
>> >
>> >[ .... ]
>> >It seems as if the best
>> >approach might be to put a basic structure up on the wiki, then we can all
>> >add to it as we think of something appropriate. How does that sound?
> I would fully agree with that -

Agreed. Lets build as we go.
I do acknowledge the extra load that the UK LOC will have running FOSS4G
2013, and I'm sure that the external offers of help from Jachym, Peter
and others will be key to spreading the load and making the cookbook
successful.
I would also encourage the FOSS4G 2013 committee to keep a running
Lessons Learned wiki as well (which is separate to the Cookbook). It is
easy to write a Lesson Learned as you experience it, but much harder to

As David and Peter note:
I think the success and also the challenge for the Cookbook will be to
keep it concise.
This means we should reference details from prior Lessons Learned, but
not include the details.
It also means we will need to be ruthless in our continuous editing of
the document, ensuring that we remove old content. (This is a recipe for
writers block, as authors often are reluctant to cut apart or remove a
prior author's efforts).

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager