[OSGeo-Conf] Should we write a FOSS4G Cookbook?

Maxim Dubinin sim at gis-lab.info
Fri Sep 7 11:20:51 PDT 2012

Here are my 2c.

First of all, any type of organizing material would be helpful, different
people need different degree of detail, someone needs Cookbook and for
someone just the brief concept is enough. Having such materials lower the
entrance barrier for potential conference organizer.

With our upcoming conference (http://gisconf.ru) we are trying hard to
thoroughly document every single step we make for our conference, including
preliminary steps, like collecting opinions on our forums, asking people
directly, amount of presentation we might get, various links etc. This also
includes our activities on the conference website, which is being developed
on the go, contacting sponsors, media partners, choosing venue etc., etc.
Almost everything on organization is online and publicly available.

We found that the most challenging (may be impossible) to formalize and
describe are questions that require to describe a multitude of options, like
for example choosing the format of the conference or the format of the
training/workshop, dealing with sponsors, dealing with multi-language setup,
benefits of having FOSS4G-local vs local event, etc. I feel like these
options are not very well described yet and descriptions of these choice may
provide important info for organizers.

We're for sure going to publish something about our experience, but this
will be in Russian and in November, after the conference.

Hope this helps,

Maxim