[OSGeo-Conf] conference web site/ software

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Wed Sep 12 18:37:55 PDT 2012

Cameron,

There's a spectrum of possibilities. Here are 3 possible points that could
serve as landmarks for discussion.

*Full Service*

For the Eclipse community the Foundation runs 2 big conferences a year. One
in North America and one in Europe. They tend not to move around as much as
FOSS4G has. They tend to be in very accessible locations thus outreach does
not appear to suffer. Fewer variables changing from year to year
(suppliers, venue, air/train/and other transportation, etc.) help to
de-risk the event and continually enhance it over time.

This service includes the items you mention and more. The program committee
controls the content and consists of community members & esteemed guests.
The program is strictly detached from sponsorship or membership. The heavy
lifting of running a good show is done by dedicated staff. "profits" are
the return, "losses" the ever present risk.

We could do the same for combined FOSS4G + LocationTech events. Naturally,
others would be welcome also.

*Strategic Partner*

A more limited role, where we take on a portion of the risk by guaranteeing
a level of sponsorship & registrations from LocationTech - basically a
level larger than any single organization would bring & possibly growing in
time as we have a benchmark for comparison. We would also promote the
event. This is in exchange for benefits such as discounts for our members.
I had support for this idea.

*Sponsor*

An even more limited role would be if we decide to sponsor.

There's no need to talk about LocationTech as a sponsor... we'd be just
another sponsor to FOSS4G and FOSS4G just another event to LocationTech
thus straight forward.

If the first two options sound interesting, a conference call might be a
suitable next step.

Andrew