[OSGeo-Conf] conference web site/ software

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Sep 14 08:05:32 PDT 2012

Cameron, All

Please see in-line

On 09/14/2012 04:41 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Andrew,
> Thanks for providing some starting ideas to work from. I'll float a
> few more discussion points and suggestions.
>
> The FOSS4G brand is now being applied to multiple location based
> events, and we should discuss what level of involvement LocationTech
> would want with each.
> These are:
> 1. The International FOSS4G (in Nottingham in 2013) drawing 500 - 900
> 2. Regional FOSS4G events (such as FOSS4G-NA and FOSS4G-CEE) drawing
> 100 - 800

It'd be pretty cool to have an annual FOSS4G North America & FOSS4G
Europe IMHO.

> 3. Local events or steams within larger events

I've organized some of these myself for OSGeo and been involved with
others. In my experience, not a lot of staff support is needed... maybe
a little help promoting them, finding some complementary sponsors and
speakers.

> An issue raised in prior FOSS4G analysis' is the loss of knowledge
> between conferences. Developing a Cookbook will help address this, but
> another very positive contribution would be to have a paid FOSS4G
> coordinator position, which would support the LOC.
> I could see such a position being provided by Eclipse/LocationTech,
> and being a very valuable role. Would this be of interest?
I can foresee the Foundation employing someone for LocationTech events
as we do for EclipseCon today. If these events are co-hosted or the same
as FOSS4G, then this makes a lot of sense and would add a strong element
of continuity between events.

They'd be part of a larger team thus have easy access to deep collective
experience. Drawing upon the larger team for the time/energy peaks for
each event may also be possible.

The event team work closely with the business team for sponsorship,
financial services/accounting, etc. The marketing team for promotion.
And of course the legal team are pulled in as needed for contracts.

> More inline ...
>
> On 13/09/2012 11:37 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
>> Cameron,
>>
>> There's a spectrum of possibilities. Here are 3 possible points that
>> could serve as landmarks for discussion.
>>
>> *Full Service*
>>
>> For the Eclipse community the Foundation runs 2 big conferences a
>> year. One in North America and one in Europe. They tend not to move
>> around as much as FOSS4G has. They tend to be in very accessible
>> locations thus outreach does not appear to suffer. Fewer variables
>> changing from year to year (suppliers, venue, air/train/and other
>> transportation, etc.) help to de-risk the event and continually
>> enhance it over time.
>>
>> This service includes the items you mention and more. The program
>> committee controls the content and consists of community members &
>> esteemed guests. The program is strictly detached from sponsorship or
>> membership. The heavy lifting of running a good show is done by
>> dedicated staff. "profits" are the return, "losses" the ever present
>> risk.
>>
>> We could do the same for combined FOSS4G + LocationTech events.
>> Naturally, others would be welcome also.
>
> I expect that FOSS4G events would not gain much by handing over
> complete control to Eclipse. It would be desirable to continue to make
> use of our OSGeo volunteers who have been doing a great job running
> conferences to date, however it would be good to provide a level of
> backup from an Eclipse staff.

Can you think of specific items that are important in this regard?

For example, negotiating venue contracts, A/V contracts, catering,
printing, decorating, etc. etc. I'm guessing the organizing committee
would want to be aware and have input but frankly leave much of the
execution work here to staff.

>> *Strategic Partner*
>>
>> A more limited role, where we take on a portion of the risk by
>> guaranteeing a level of sponsorship & registrations from LocationTech
>> - basically a level larger than any single organization would bring &
>> possibly growing in time as we have a benchmark for comparison. We
>> would also promote the event. This is in exchange for benefits such
>> as discounts for our members. I had support for this idea.
>
> I think this would be valuable and well worth progressing.
>

>> *Sponsor*
>>
>> An even more limited role would be if we decide to sponsor.
>>

>> There's no need to talk about LocationTech as a sponsor... we'd be
>> just another sponsor to FOSS4G and FOSS4G just another event to
>> LocationTech thus straight forward.
>>
>> If the first two options sound interesting, a conference call might
>> be a suitable next step.
>
> Yes, lets see where this conversation goes on email, the set something
> up in a couple of weeks or so.
> (Probably on IRC)

+1